K. Jobe's Thoughts

First to last: human, man, cynical, sexual, emotional, minority, real. These are my thoughts just take a look.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, District of columbia, United States

I am the manifestation of all your insecurities and imperfections. Try me and you will see not even I know the real me.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Weekend Brunch, TV-MA

This post is inspired by Sunday Brunches and dedicated to all those I have brunched with and will brunch with in the future. Be it Saturday or Sunday, brunch has become a staple (2nd entry, 3rd definition) in my adult life. However, it was not until today I truly understood the reasons why. With these reasons, it is fair to say this post is not simply about brunch but about a state of maturity.

First reason I enjoy my weekend brunch is because I get to hang out with my friends in a low-key, non-partying environment. This gives you a chance to catch up on life, check-in about work and social/relationships, or discuss current events. Also, there is no facade of fancy clothes. You're not at a lounge you are at a restaurant or cafe. It is daytime not nighttime. There is no reason to wear that new sweater or get all dressed up. You wear what you plan to wear all day, for me this is typically a t-shirt and jeans. You reach a point in life where you don't need drinks to be social...let me rephrase that...you SHOULD reach a point in your life where you do not need drinks to be social.

Another good thing about weekend brunches is due to workweek schedules, you never have time for a GREAT breakfast during the week. You may be able to schedule a good dinner here and there, but unless you have the best work cafeteria, or you wake up at the crack of dawn to make yourself breakfast, chances are your breakfast options are pretty limited. When you have started a career it is fairly easy to fall into the same routine over and over. Enjoying weekend brunches gives you he chance to not only put variety in your food but in your environment. Trying out different restaurants, different food items, and with different people.

I recommend different people because as you mature you also realize the people you may party with are not necessarily the people you can eat brunch with. Yeah she seemed really cool when you were on your 3rd cup of Gentleman's Jack Daniels chilled, but over this OJ and Belgian waffle, she lacks a certain substance. This does not make her a bad person simply means you know that she is not the kind of person you want to have brunch with. Refer to Skin Deep and Auditions. Also, when you brunch with different people you get the opportunity to cultivate and develop more mature relationships with your friends and people you may have recently met. You are never at the age where you are done expanding or reducing your circle of friends, if you do not believe me ask your parents. You may lose some friends you have known for years, and you may gain some new ones you have met recently. In sum, this post is not simply about weekend brunch, but more about what it represents. Adding variety to your routine, getting to know people outside of a party setting, and having mature conversations about the things that actually matter. Now to enjoy the rest of Football Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home