K. Jobe's Thoughts

First to last: human, man, cynical, sexual, emotional, minority, real. These are my thoughts just take a look.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, District of columbia, United States

I am the manifestation of all your insecurities and imperfections. Try me and you will see not even I know the real me.

Monday, January 03, 2011

Resolve to Not make a Resolution

Sorry for my Holiday hiatus, but I am back in action. Hope you all still look forward to reading these blogs, as much as I enjoy writing them.
There are plenty of blogs on making New Years Resolutions, and how to make good ones, and how to keep them. What makes mine so different? Well the simple fact that I think the best resolution is not a resolution at all. January 1st comes once a year, so for the other 364 days do you not make any life changes, or set new goals? Well if you don't then shame on you, but chances are you do. And those goals/changes have as much chances of success as those you make it in the month of December to begin on the 1st of the year. Quite simply I am telling you, the best resolution is one you could make on any given day and for any given reason.

With that said, make it simple. Don't vow to lose X amount of pounds, instead vow to stay fit and begin eating healthy. That is something you can implement into your life, and this way if you are not 20 lbs lighter by X date, you have not failed because it was not about the weight it was about the lifestyle. Make it something you can do naturally. Don't vow to not have sex until you are married or in a "committed" relationship, instead vow not to have sex unless the person is worth it. Sex is a natural physical and emotional course of action we take for various reasons, it is okay to let it happen, but do it because you're interested in them not because they gave you a ring or told you that you were now exclusive. Make a change or goal that you have control over. Don't guarantee a promotion by fall, but rather promise yourself that you will work harder whether or not your boss notices the stronger work ethic you have. You have no say on who your boss picks as a favorite, or the budget, or the HR process, therefore do not set yourself up for possible failure.

Finally, write down these goals/changes/choices, declare them and throw it away. If they are truly changes you want to make: simple, easy, controllable, and without force then there is no need to write them down. They should be changes in your life, that you can measure on a daily basis. I, myself, wrote down (well digitally) three areas: fitness, career, and personal. I put down two-three goals I had for each area. I declared these goals to my parents, and to several close friends, and then I deleted the document. The point of declaration is that if you fail to make these changes for YOUR betterment the people close to you can call you on it. And if they are, as we said, easy controllable, simple then you have no excuse for not implementing the changes. Bottom line: don't make resolutions, make necessary simple controllable changes in your life. They should be attainable, they should come as natural as falling in love, and they should be something you don't need to be reminded of. In the event that you do slip, it is always good to have people close to you that can call you on it, and you can rectify the problem. Oh yeah, and Happy New Years everyone. Make 2011 the best by living, laughing, and loving more than you did in years past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home