K. Jobe's Thoughts

First to last: human, man, cynical, sexual, emotional, minority, real. These are my thoughts just take a look.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, District of columbia, United States

I am the manifestation of all your insecurities and imperfections. Try me and you will see not even I know the real me.

Friday, January 14, 2011

I'm Ill/Workaholic

In the past week I have used a total of 21 hrs and 15 mins of sick leave. All week people have been telling me to stay home and rest. You have sick leave use it. Why are you trying to get other people sick? F that man, that's not what I believe in. I believe in working and accumulating as much leave as possible. Why should I be forced to give up my sick leave for something that could be a minor cold? (Turned out to be strep throat but whatever). I spent the majority of 2010 looking for a job, and you think not that I have one I am going to let myself look like the guy slowing up productivity because I do not feel well. It never occurred to me until quite recently that the problem was not simply leave...trust me that's a big part of it, but I am sort of a workaholic...more like a busybody.

I knew this was the case when during the couple days I had a fever of 104 and was sleeping at random times my dad came to check on me. He said, "Hey Kamal, are you feeling better?" I jumped up and said, "Yes, why is it time for work?" I immediately strained my eyes to focus on the clock. He said, "No, no. It's only 8 o'clock (at night) you can go back to bed." Now I don't know how many of you had ever experienced a bad fever, but quite simply your brain is not equipped to make sense of things in that condition. You are able to think clearly, but not think logically. After my dad left, I began picking out what I would wear to work tomorrow, this was me thinking clearly. The fact that I was sick and should be calling out did not even occur to me, this was me not thinking logically. The next morning I got up got dressed, quite nicely I might add, and was completely prepared for work. I went upstairs shakily, and collapsed into the kitchen chair. Eventually, I was convinced that going to work was not in my best interests and went back to bed.

Naturally, as you may have guessed I went to work the next time. This time I avoided the kitchen for fear "they" might try to convince me to stay home again. This was me thinking clearly. I coughed the whole time I was at work, to the point where people starting spraying Lysol around their cubicles (That's right Ms. Williams I know you were over there judging me!) I finally surrendered and went to the doctor probably the first clear and logical thing I had done that week. After receiving orders from the doctor "strongly discouraging me from going to work" I decided to give in and stay home. Less than 24 hours later and I am writing my 2nd blog post.

See I guess it's not so much that I am a workaholic as I do not like to sit at home and do nothing. I was raised to believe that you only get somewhere in this world by working for it, and being a male in the Jobe family there seems to be this inability to sit still too long (unless there is a good game or movie on). Now that my fever has subsided and I am still off of work to ensure I am 100% Tuesday morning I have already plotted out my weekend and exactly what I plan to accomplish at work next week. My friend once told me the reason I get sick it's because it is the only thing that will slow me down. Well years later I can admit she was right. If I'm not working, socializing, or planning ... I'm ill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home