K. Jobe's Thoughts

First to last: human, man, cynical, sexual, emotional, minority, real. These are my thoughts just take a look.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, District of columbia, United States

I am the manifestation of all your insecurities and imperfections. Try me and you will see not even I know the real me.

Monday, November 29, 2010

State of Affairs

This post is inspired by the black women and men I see all around me on a daily basis. My black brother, you're 21, 25, 30+ years old, why are you still sagging your jeans and still have no idea what a resume is. My black sister, you're 21, 25, 30+ years old isn't it time you stop chasing after ball players, or the dude who looks "thuggish" and go for a real man. The state of affairs in the black community disturbs me to my core; it is the reason I became a philosophy major. For the life of me, I cannot understand when our people fell off. When did advancement in this society stopped being cool. When did the ideals set forth in the early 90s by shows such as Cosby Show, A Different World, Family Matters, Living Single, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and even of one of my all-time favorite shows, Martin; when did the success these characters achieved in their careers and education stop being something we reached for. Instead we since the early 2000s we have...well that's just it, there really are no black shows on television that set forth good examples of what will transpire with determination and hard work. Unless Real Housewives of Atlanta and the Game qualify. SN: I do enjoy the Game but the idea of becoming a football player does not apply to the vast majority of us. While I do not personally watch RHOA, and I am sure it is very entertaining, but living a loud-mouthed drama-filled existence with people you call friends is something most black women can accomplish without even thinking about (let's be honest).

The problem is not in the media, the problem is not in the parenting, the problem is not in the education; the problem is in all of these and more. When having a conversation Saturday evening, I asked a young man what would he change about the black community, he said the ignorance. I followed-up asking in regards to what. He gave me a hard look and said "everything". Ignorance when it comes to succeeding in school, ignorance in regards to having a child and not being in the child's life, ignorance in regards to what we aspire to be. He said, black people somehow got this attitude whereas if they are not at the very bottom and are at least doing better than someone else, then they can coax through. I am here to say that is false. You pointing to a homeless guy, a crackhead, or even another black person working a "lower" job then you, does not make you better. The only way you can be better is if you constantly strive to do better. My father retired from the Air Force after 21 years, in 200. He constantly seeks ways to advance his career, whether it is pursuing another degree, coming up with new ideas and projects at his job or working more overtime than any other employee there. He does not have to do these things, he is set when it comes to money, but he does them because he believes he can always do better.

The state of affairs in the black community today is quite simply, "we fell off". We let the social disparities and racism in America get to us, and allow us to not only fill the roles offered to us but to permeate society as the deserving underdog. I personally, have to stop and give some credit to the black women, because "overall" I see many black women on their grind always striving to do better. Before you take a bow though, ask yourself if you can still do better. For my black men, don't you dare celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King, or Malcolm X, or Thurgood Marshall or any of the other pioneers unless you are ACTUALLY doing something to fulfill their legacy. There is a lot more I could write on this subject, and maybe I will in a later post. For now simply understand what I see and what is happening is disgraceful and ignorance pure and simple. We can all do better, and we all must if we really want things to change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home