K. Jobe's Thoughts

First to last: human, man, cynical, sexual, emotional, minority, real. These are my thoughts just take a look.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, District of columbia, United States

I am the manifestation of all your insecurities and imperfections. Try me and you will see not even I know the real me.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bromance

A "bromance" is loosely described as a close  but non-sexual relationship between two heterosexual males. The word is the combination of the two words "brother" and "romance". Now I will admit that I have no idea where the term "bromance" originated. According to Wikipedia, it was coined in the 90s by Big Brother magazine editor Dave Carnie to describe the relationship between skaters. See here. The term became more popular with the introduction of Brody Jenner on MTV's The Hills who, if I am not mistaken, had a show called Bromance for a brief period. No matter how you slice it, in the 2000s the term bromance became commonplace in the language of the late X generation and the Y generation. We see examples of it everywhere: George Clooney and Brad Pitt, Mark Whalberg and Stephen Levinson, Jason Segel and Paul Rudd, which by the way if you still are unsure of what a Bromance is or how it is "not gay" see the movie: I Love You Man with Pal Rudd and Jason Segel; it's filarious (not a misspelled word).



Looking back on my life I never had a "bromance" there was no good friend that I was always out with, or my go-to guy friend whom I could always count on. I have had good friends, even had a crew from my neighborhood that I still chill with regularly. They are without a doubt my oldest and nearest friends, but there was no one person in that group I hung out with more than the rest, not anymore at least. R.I.P. But a "bromance" nope. I know a number of dudes who are in "bromances" whether they are willing to admit it or not. To be honest I secretly envy them. What am I missing out on?


Everyone who knows me knows I have a lot of friends...a lot. They also know that I tend to go above and beyond to see or speak to them all, which tends to stress me out sometimes. I have two really close friends, who probably know me better than my own family. One is a dude, one is a female, neither of them live in the Washington DC area (By the way if you do not already, everyone should have one really close female friend and male friend regardless of your gender or sexuality it is necessary!) However, even if they did live here, I am not sure  a "bromance" would exist. See I get sick of people rather quickly, ask any of my exes (joking, joking). Seriously, I could not hang with the same person all the time regardless of gender, and far be it for me to brag about the skeletons in my walk-in closet; but I could not give someone the low down on my dirty shames. Truth be told I trust certain people with certain information, and I schedule hanging out with friends as if I were an event planner. For the time being,I think this is what works best for me. As I am getting older and defining certain relationships, I grow closer to those I want to stick around. I have few dudes that I am cool with  in and out of this area. I have known them long enough to know what information I can share and what I should not share. I know what venues I can go to with who, and who will intermingle well with certain female friends. It kind of goes back to the previous blogpost Auditions.  I may never have a legit singular bromance, but that's okay because I have enough male friends I am close with to fill a wedding party. (Seriously see the movie).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home