K. Jobe's Thoughts

First to last: human, man, cynical, sexual, emotional, minority, real. These are my thoughts just take a look.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, District of columbia, United States

I am the manifestation of all your insecurities and imperfections. Try me and you will see not even I know the real me.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Case of the Mondays


Preface: You do not have to have seen Office Space to understand this blog although it is a great movie definitely worth seeing.

We feel it coming on Sunday night when we set the alarm and get our clothes ready. The feeling gets worse when you begin that morning commute, the boiling point occurs when you step foot into the office, school, or site of employment. "Case of the Mondays" was a quote made most popular and memorable by 1999's Office Space. Specifically, the quote references when someone is having a rough time dealing with work. Realistically, "case of the Mondays" does not represent having a bad Monday, but rather the idea that you still have Tuesday - Friday to get through. It is the idea of what is forthcoming that gives you a Case of the Mondays. Suffice it to say that if you workweek is structured differently, say you work Weds - Sun, then your Case of the Wednesdays is equivalent to a Case of the Mondays. For the purpose of this post, Case of the Mondays will hereafter be referred to as COM or the affliction.

You ever hear that expression: "If you put something out into the Universe, it will come back to you." Well this affliction works the same way. If you feel the oncoming COM and allow it then you will feel like you need a drink after every single workday, or worse take it out on the faulty copier machine (again see Office Space). However, if you feel the impending affliction and allow it to pass through you and look at every day on its own, then you may find it much easier to bear. Do not think of it as the workweek, but rather today is Monday what will I accomplish today...only today. Incidentally, I have my own way of dealing with COM that I am willing to share.

It's quite simple with COM, there is an inverse feeling; I call it Case of the Thursdays, but truthfully it has no name. But as the name suggests it is that happy feeling you have when you know you only have one more workday and that is Friday then your weekend. Most people make plans for the weekend, even if the plan is to sit at home or do some cleaning. No I did not digress, I was introducing my idea by giving you some background. What I do to battle the affliction, is set plans for me to do during the week. For example, Monday, pick up my car; Tuesday go to the doctor to get routine blood work done (I emphasize it so people don't try spreading rumors) and go to Home Depot after work; Wednesday try out that spin class and call my good friend ___ who I have not spoken to in a while; Thursday check out that new Happy Hour I heard about.

See that I made little things to do during the week to break up the monotony. Are they fun things? No, not all of them. But at least each day gives me something small to look forward to, a change in my schedule. In the event someone asks what am I doing tonight, which almost never occurs especially on Monday. I can say, "well I will be doing..." Now this works for me and it may or may not work for you. Either way COM is horrible affliction, and you do not want to spend the rest of your working life fighting a losing battle. So either get over it, try to switch it up, or.... quit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home