K. Jobe's Thoughts

First to last: human, man, cynical, sexual, emotional, minority, real. These are my thoughts just take a look.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, District of columbia, United States

I am the manifestation of all your insecurities and imperfections. Try me and you will see not even I know the real me.

Sunday, May 08, 2011

Mama's Boy, Ode To

I previously dated a girl who asked if I was a mama's boy, I told her yes I was. Down the line she questioned how I was able to do my own laundry, iron, cook, fix things, essentially care for myself; I of course had the "huh" face. Apparently some people are under the impression that a "mama's boy" is a b!tch @ss dude. No, sir. You see a mama's boy is a man who was raised to be independent. My mother taught me to do my laundry and iron by the time I was 12/13. I had begun making my own hot chocolate (using the microwave) by the time I was 6 or 7, and knew how to fix eggs, cereal and toast before I was 13. I knew how to clean the bathroom and vacuum from when I was 8 or 9. To be honest I barely remember the times when I did not know how to clean a house, do my laundry, make food, or take care of my needs.

I always believed a prime example of the capabilities of a mama's boy were children who grew up in a single-family home. Children who grew up knowing how to care for themselves at a young age because often times that one parent was off working hard to put food on the table. Well, I come from a two-parent home, so even though I did not need to learn the skills to survive as a child; my mother took care to teach me so that I could survive as a man. A mama's boy grows up to be a real man, not simply because he knows how to care for his house, food and personal hygiene, but additionally he understands how to treat a woman.

Honestly, think about it. A mama's boy loves his mom above many if not all others. Sidenote: the idea that a man would choose his mother over his girlfriend is preposterous, and any woman who believes that, or even worse, has the audacity to say it to the man deserves the betrayal and/or subsequent break-up that is sure to come. Insecurity is already unattractive, do not play yourself comparing yourself to his mother, never a good look. Now if you believe you are dealing with a mama's boy, but he does you dirty. Maybe he does not know how to care for himself, or cannot seem to get his act together. Then you are likely not dealing with a real mama's boy, but rather a real [insert all the expletives you want here]. As a mama's boy, you know how to treat a woman with kindness and respect. If there is one thing any mama's boy knows, assuming his mom took the time to tell him, is to respect a woman and never make her cry. You would not be a real mama's boy if you listened and followed your mother's instructions carefully when it came to surviving as a man, but ignored the bit on how to treat a woman. After all, treating someone you love with kindness and respect is not only a part of being a real man, but it is what a mama's boy should know how to do best. Happy Mother's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home