K. Jobe's Thoughts

First to last: human, man, cynical, sexual, emotional, minority, real. These are my thoughts just take a look.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, District of columbia, United States

I am the manifestation of all your insecurities and imperfections. Try me and you will see not even I know the real me.

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Look At Me Now

One of my favorite mottos since 2007 is: It's Not Fitness, It's Life. This is the mantra of the premier Equinox Fitness Club. I bring this up because for the past week I have felt off my game. You know the expression "when it rains it pours", well it has been pouring rain since last Thursday/Friday. I felt this was primarily due to not exercising for a week. Once I got back in the gym, I had a better perspective on things.

About a month ago I discovered that when I switched offices, the gym I was currently a member at had a location next to what would be my new office. However, in order to transfer my membership I would be asked to pay $30 more a month and sign a one-year contract. This was obviously no bueno. I immediately notified them I would be cancelling my membership. From then on I began scouting new locations and possible alternatives. In addition, a co-worker and myself, began tag team negotiations with corporate and the new gym location to get a better deal. We pulled out all the stops: pledging more members, quoting competitive gym specials, phone calls, emails. Meantime, I was scouting out possible alternatives, factoring convenience, schedule, time driving or on the train, and of course rates. After one week, we succeeded securing our current rate at two more locations.

A call to fitness is not one I take lightly, nor do I think anyone should. It is not about looking good, although that helps, but moreover about feeling good and staying healthy. I recently completed a challenge with a friend, the terms were to lose 10 lbs in the course of 35 days. I accepted this challenge and met my goals through a comprehensive diet plan and exercise. No red meat, fried foods, pork, carbs after lunch, dairy after lunch, no eating after 9pm, no liquor (especially beer), and no sugars (white or brown, honey serves as a good substitute). I worked out 5 days a week, which included a day and a half of only cardio (running or biking). I allowed myself 1-2 cheat meals a week, and once every 2 weeks allowed myself 3 drinks max (again no beer and no mixed drinks).While the challenge is over, the desire to maintain what I achieved remains the same. I see the results in my clothes, in my face, and in my energy levels. Those who know fitness, know there is no better feeling than to feel in shape.

Again I repeat, this is not about looking good. You can be 100 pounds or 250 pounds, but the goal is to feel fit and healthy. It can be something as simple as riding your bike to work, walking 3 miles a day, swimming, or hitting the treadmill three times a week. The point is if you do not take fitness seriously, you do not take life seriously. Fitness is health and health is your life. Unfortunately, my job requires me to come face-to-paper with people who have often chosen unhealthy lifestyles, and the effect it has on them and their overall health is often underestimated. This post is not meant to scare, tease, or show off. Although the title may suggest otherwise. However, when all is said and done you do feel more confident and your swag is much higher. They say getting old is a b!tch. Well I intend to fight her off as long as I can. In sum, it's not fitness, it's life. See photo below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home