K. Jobe's Thoughts

First to last: human, man, cynical, sexual, emotional, minority, real. These are my thoughts just take a look.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, District of columbia, United States

I am the manifestation of all your insecurities and imperfections. Try me and you will see not even I know the real me.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Eager Beaver

Most, if not all, people have something they truly desire or want. It can be their drive in life, their sole motivation, or simply a goal they feel is necessary to arrive at contentment. With this in mind, have you ever been so desperate so eager to attain this end that you often fall victim to the same mistakes over and over in your efforts to get it? As you may have guessed, I have and this post is about that very thing.


To use an analogy, which I hope will help illustrate my point let us look at this goal as a business venture. Now you really want to be successful at this business venture, and in order to get there you make certain key investments, plans and partnerships. Sometimes your investment might fail, sometimes the plan is flawed, and sometimes you collaborate with the wrong people. Each time you make an effort to be successful at the venture you learn a little bit more about what works and what did not. (Insert science fair project flashback here). With each failure, you sense success as getting closer and closer. You with me so far...? Okay now what if it occurs to you that success is not getting closer but in reality, you are so eager to attain this goal that you are ignoring signs that this business venture will never come to fruition.

Sucks does it not? Not trying to be negative, cynical and realistic perhaps, but not negative. How do you know when your eagerness is blinding you to the truth that your efforts are completely futile? When do you cut your losses and choose a new endeavor? Is that even possible? If this is truly something that drives and motivates you then there is very little chance you will retire your pursuits of this "ultimate goal". I even played myself one time believing I would take a break from pursuing this venture only to later realize I was once again investing, planning, and partnering. Always the eager beaver when will I finish building this Damn and be able to rest happy?

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think sometimes all we have to to is slightly adjust and realign our main objective within the same field in order to make our goals attainable and a bit more realistic. I originally wanted to own a successful record label and be a big-time producer. Now that I have realized what is attainable and what is not, my goals have changed. Also by changing my focus to my short term goals, I am able to still get some type of sense of accomplishment and satisfaction while on my journey to my long term goals. Ultimately I think you should never give up on your original goals, but just place some attainable short term goals into your plan along the way.

11:41 AM  
Blogger K. Jobe said...

Well said sir. That is definitely an option certainly the most viable option as well. Sometimes in the course of making small goals and steps you can even find that the main goal is no longer what you specifically desire or it slowly changes into something else.

11:53 AM  
Blogger K. Jobe said...

Well said sir. That is definitely an option certainly the most viable option as well. Sometimes in the course of making small goals and steps you can even find that the main goal is no longer what you specifically desire or it slowly changes into something else.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home